[Portfolio] new reports tool ?

David McPherson dmcphers at vt.edu
Tue Sep 13 05:47:07 PDT 2011

Hi Mike and John,

The tool is what is for right now.  It's not an easy tool to use at all and the documentation is non-exsistent.  It also requires in-depth knowledge of the Sakai DB.  This is spelled out in the wiki page for writing reports. https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSPDOC/Writing+Reports+for+the+OSP+Reports+tool

This is probably one reason why this tool has been dropped.

On the other side, this tool is despairately needed by so many folks out there, that I picked it back up to get it running for VT and then for others.  The upgrades need to include a better way to write the reports.   A better way to specify which site the report is intended to run in, i.e. site specific reports.  I'd love any feedback or input on the tool as it will make for a better tool.

I'm still learning what is required to write the reports and struggling myself on getting a report written for us here at VT, but there is really no other option, at the moment.

There is another contender out there.  Will Trillich showed in Denver 2 years ago a tool he called the Report Gizmo.  Here's his slides http://www.slideshare.net/trillich/reporting-on-your-xml-field-data  This takes the xml data and stores it in standard sql tables.  Then you can attach a regular reporting engine to those tables and generate reports that way.  I think he's willing to share that code and I think a few others out there have it running.

Reporting is the elephant in the room as far as osp goes.  It's something everyone needs and very few are willing to tackle or focus on.  Any support is greatly appreciated.

Dave McPherson
--
David McPherson
dmcphers at vt.edu