[Portfolio] Portfolio Template performance issue

David McPherson dmcphers at vt.edu
Thu Aug 25 09:13:35 PDT 2011

Hello,

We're running into an issue here at VT that we're wondering if anyone else is as well.  When we have a portfolio template, we sometimes will add a supplementary content that will be used on the portfolio, like a header image which is an Upload File type.  In the regular Sakai, the link we are using is on the Portfolio Page after you have created a portfolio and it is a link that says Add/Edit Content.  Previously, it would search the users workspace and return.  Now it appears to be searching all sites the user is a member of in Sakai and returning all materials that the user has content.read; which for some users can be quite a lot of materials.  Today, we actually had this feature crash our production servers.  We tried it again on a preproduction machine and found that one click caused around 100,000 queries and ran for 30+ minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Does anyone know of any changes between 2.6 and 2.7?  We're currently on 2.7.1.

Thanks,
Dave
--
David McPherson