[Portfolio] [DG: Teaching & Learning] Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] Learning Activities and Portfolios: time for a talk?

Jacques Raynauld jacques.raynauld at hec.ca
Fri Mar 19 11:21:54 PDT 2010

To all of you that have contributed to the interesting discussion on
Learning Activities and Portfolios: time for a talk?

1.  I certainly approuve of the idea of  integrating more closely the
LMS and Portfolios systems.   At the Université de Montréal and also
some  European universities (Lausanne), we see new specialized master
programs being redesigned from the start  using a completely integrated
Module/Portfolio approach with a strong program competency/learning
outcomes flavour.  A typical module would include learning outcomes,
learning activites (readings, exercices, etc.) and broad type
assignments with reflexive components normally found in portfolios
(matrix views are also planned).  This is not the future, it is being
designed right now with few tools available to support these approaches.

2.  People have mentioned some tools (goal management) that could be
used to link assigments or activities to learning
outcomes/competencies.  It is a good  start but we need to approach this
problem in a much more comprehensive manner.  In some work we are
currently doing for École Polytechnique in Montreal in the context of
the CDIO Syllabus (a detailed competency-based description for
engineering), we face the following challenge. For some courses, the
broad learning outcomes/competencies (say level 1 granularity) are going
to be set by the instructor or most likely by the university at the
course level.  Based on a list of pre-assigned  learning
outcomes/competencies, instructors could set finer grain learning
outcomes/competencies (say level 1.1 or 1.1.1) which are are
pedagogically more relevant for the activities or assignments
undertaken.  This is the top-dowm approach.  Another possibility is the
bottom-up approach :  competencies/learning outcomes could be set at the
activities/assignments level and then added up automatically at the
course level.

3. This kind of more complex learning outcomes/competencies integration
might not be usual now but it very likely to sprawl in the near future.
The CDIO initiative for engineering (http://www.cdio.org/), the European
qualification framework - Bologna
(http://ec.europa.eu/education/lifelong-learning-policy/doc44_en.htm),
some U.S. initiatives including the Lumina Foundation project in
Indiana  and some others states
(http://chronicle.com/blogPost/Tuning-American-Higher-Ed/6774/), all
point to some expanded functionalities that should be part of Sakai 3,
most likely in a structured-page environment.

This is a very interesting challenge for the community.

Jacques Raynauld
HEC Montréal
Open Syllabus team

Yes, it is great to see this conversation develop and to see the direction it is taking. An LMS that allows for the types of functions that have traditionally been associated only with portfolios would be a wonderful development for us and probably a lot of other institutions because it would bring in best practices like learning objectives tied to assessment through rubrics or other methods and make them more common and central to teaching and learning. Learning activities like reflection and storage, selection and presentation of student work could be a more integral part of the learning experience for more students. Instead of having two separate systems (LMS & portfolio) to work through, both students and faculty would simply learn and use one unified robust and flexible system.

The institution would also benefit by only having one system to fund and maintain plus the system would offer the ability for the institution to gather institutional level reporting data for accreditation and other administrative assessment needs. That may be a lot to expect at this point, but it can be a goal we work toward if we think it is a worthwhile idea.

-Salwa

Salwa Khan
sk16 at txstate.edu
Coordinator, IT Projects