[Portfolio] Learning Capabilities Lenses and possible approaches to fleshing them out

David Goodrum davidgoodrum at rocketmail.com
Wed Mar 10 05:53:18 PST 2010

Hi everyone,

I played around recently with jumping ahead to what narratives and further detail we might begin adding to our now fairly well defined seven themes/lenses of learning capabilities.

A teaching and learning lens with a lot of facets is of course Assessment / Evaluation and there has been previous writing done outside of our brainstorming activity. So I tried to take advantage of that and try to look forward a bit in our process.

I went back to John Norman's "Manifesto" on grading and thought it explicated a lot of issues around a general sub-theme of Assessment / Evaluation that we might call Grading, Rating, Feedback. The Manifesto approach takes a wide and high-level view, covering conceptual, workflow and technical issues, outlining a general direction. So, is this the type of thing we should elicit the community to create for each of the sub-themes?

Going further, a component of the Grading, Rating, Feedback sub-theme is course evaluation.  For another purpose, Lynn Ward had written up some brief user scenarios around the topic of course evaluation.  I adapted those for this purpose and added quotes from the learning capabilities spreadsheet just to show an example of how we might quote/reference back to the spreadsheet in our more detailed/narrative write-ups.

Both files are attached; and are meant as just quick sketches of how we might flesh out, in a more narrative fashion, the many facets of our teaching and learning lenses.

Regards - David Goodrum