[Portfolio] Conference Follow-up > Plans for This Week's Teaching and Learning Call

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Mon Jun 21 10:08:36 PDT 2010

Greetings Exhausted Colleagues,

WOW!  That was my thought as I boarded my plane Friday and reflected on
what was a tremendously exciting and eventful 11th international Sakai
Conference.  Of all of the great outcomes one of the most significant for
me was evidence that our teaching and learning community has clearly grown
over the years and now represents a large portion of those in attendance.
Although I was not able to get to all of the T&L sessions the feedback I
got from attendees was very positive, my thanks to everyone who
contributed to this track and the Teaching with Sakai Innovation Awards
this year.

Given the range of teaching and learning topics and ideas that surfaced
last week, I thought it might be useful to use the call this week to
debrief a bit and discuss which of the many interesting conference
outcomes we all want to focus on and put energy towards this coming year.
At this point, there are at least three topics that have surfaced:

(1) 2011 Teaching with Sakai Innovation Awards - Planning for next year's
program

(2) Sakai Learning Capabilities Design Lenses - Refining these and
beginning to apply them to Sakai 3 work

(3) Collaborating on Distance Learning Topics - There is growing interest
to work together across institutions on training and other resources on
this topic

If you have other topics to discuss please let me know so that we can add
them to the agenda and make sure we have time to discuss everything.

What I would like to suggest is that we have some broad discussions on
these topics so that we can map out, at a high level, what they are about
and will entail.  This will then help us decide how to best begin working
on them.  We may not be able to complete this discussion on one call so we
may need to dedicate more time to fleshing these out.

** IMPORTANT ** > We are CHANGING THE TIME for the call this week to allow
for greater international involvement.  In particular, a group from
Charles Sturt University in Australia who are also actively involved in
Sakai 3 will be joining the call.  Our new START TIME will be Wednesday,
June 23rd 21:00 UCT or 5 PM EDT (2 PM local time in Los Angeles and 7 AM,
Thursday, local time in Sydney, AU).  We will discuss the regular start
time moving forward on the call.

Dial in information is below and I will post a reminder on Wednesday.

Thanks, Josh

Calls are currently taking place every Wednesday at 5 PM ET (New York,
USA).  To participate:

    * Dial 1-888-447-7153 (International callers: 1-719-387-1138)
    * Enter in passcode: 917798 (the hit #)
    * Listen to music until "moderator" starts the call
    * Need help? Call tech support at 1-877-807-0970

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron