[Portfolio] Caution using groups in matrices for changing cell status

Ackerman, Erica ericaack at umich.edu
Tue Jul 13 06:23:47 PDT 2010

Just a heads up for people using matrices in 2.6 who are using groups when changing cell status: http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18766 "Erratic Stickiness of Group and User, No page update after Manage Status in Matrices tool". After you make a change for a user in a group other than the first, the Matrix redisplays with the first person from the first group selected, but showing the change you made for the person in the other group, so it looks like you've changed the cell status for the wrong person. In fact, you've made the change for the right person. If you select any other user and then reselect the user with the "wrong" change, the person's matrix will display correctly. It's very confusing, though, and the lack of stickiness of the group selection makes using groups for changing cell status almost valueless. I don't know whether there is any other bizarre behavior with groups, but for now, I wouldn't use groups for changing cell status.

Erica