[Portfolio] [Building Sakai] Feedback on SAK-17351

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Sun Jan 17 16:32:58 PST 2010

Hello Charise,

We discussed this issue at last week's call and came to a pretty
comfortable understanding of the topic. Specific to the items listed
below:

   1) Matrices should be copied by reference only. We could not name
a real scenario where a full copy was desirable and it is a very
complex proposition.

   2) Generally, items should be copied by reference. This seems to
have the most expected / explainable behavior. [More below]

   3) Additional content like comments, metadata, and possibly most
importantly, the Options form should be portfolio-specific. In the
case of the Options form, a new form should be created with the
contents of the original.

An important detail here is around the notion of copying forms. We
think that it's quite important in some cases (in presentations as
well as some other scenarios) but it's essentially impossible to
predict when desired. It's worth more discussion to figure out where
and how we might expose a way for a user to duplicate a form with its
contents intact. We did want to check with your team to spell out the
scenarios most important to you.

We also decided that feature documentation should be completed for
this since it is a significant addition of functionality. The
template we have used is in Confluence along with a number of them
completed for various features:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSP/OSP+Feature+Template

Is it possible for your team to start a round of this documentation?
Also, we would welcome you or others to the call to discuss how to
move this forward.

Thanks,
-Noah