[Portfolio] Sections and Groups, Part II

Kara Stiles kara.stiles at rsmart.com
Mon Sep 28 16:27:33 PDT 2009

I had a grumpy list post last February about the Matrices tool not playing with groups/sections as nicely as some of the other Sakai tools do.

If the Matrices tool could *just* respect the permissions in the *group* realms for the site, then you could do this:

1. Remove the matrix.review permission from the student role in the site realm
2. Add the matrix.review permission to the Student role in the group realm
3. Create a new role in the group realm and call it StudentSection (or something)
4. Remove the section.role.student permission from the Student role in the group realm
5. Give the section.role.student permission to the StudentSection (or something) role in the group realms
6. Configure items 1-5 in the realm templates so you only have to do it ONCE!

...and as long as the Matrices tool respected the group realms the way Announcements currently do (and the way Calendar used to!), this would be a reasonable method of configuring the group realms so that users could view their group members in the matrix, but not their "section" members.

...Or you could just try and remove the section.role.student permission from the Student role in the group realm and see what happens, but I bet that would break a bunch of stuff.  I don't have an available CM integration on a test instance this afternoon, otherwise I'd try it out just for fun.

Anyhow, I'd vote to make the Matrices tool play nice with group realms, in the same nice way the Announcements tool plays with group realms.

Bye now,
Kara

Kara Stiles
Senior Functional Consultant