[Portfolio] [Management] A manifesto for Grading and Rating in Sakai

Sean Keesler sean.keesler at threecanoes.com
Fri Oct 30 18:50:36 PDT 2009

Trying again...

As I look over the "capabilities spreadsheet", I see a lot of focus on
the interactions between instructors and students...
"What do *I* need to do with *my* students?"
One thing is "grade" their work."

I think that there is a piece that sits on top of the core capability
to rate/grade that relates to "management of learning"...which I know
isn't typically thought of as a key design focus of an LMS, but may be
the concern of admins....
"How do *I* (the program chair, department head, dean, provost) want
to encourage/influence/support the teaching behavior of our faculty?"
One thing is to encourage/require/foster the development/use of
standards/rubrics in grading/rating.

The idea of the application of "rubrics" (which arguably is the
difference between an academic assessment system and any arbitrary
rating system) is a feature that seems like it would fit into this
latter category of possible LMS capabilities.

There may be other capabilities that sit outside the
"instructor-student" relationship. It may need to be another "tab" on
that spreadsheet.

Sean Keesler
130 Academy Street
Manlius, New York 13104 USA