[Portfolio] Slow-downs

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed May 20 11:52:01 PDT 2009

This sounds like a reasonable workaround to take a bite out of
unreasonable performance. However, I have to voice my dissent with
implementing a global restriction to find things in My Workspace
only. I won't say that it isn't a good survival strategy, but it
seems to be burying a problem. There are places where we need to find
all forms of a type everywhere, so the full-scope problem is real.

I'm happy to talk through how we could build a configuration option
until a bigger fix is available, but I think we have to address the
whole problem in time. To be clear, this is one of the top priorities
at Michigan for the Fall (or before, as practical).

Thanks,
-Noah