[Portfolio] Question about SAK-15822

Ward, Lynn E. leward at iupui.edu
Thu Mar 12 13:57:16 PDT 2009

I won't be on Monday's call, so I will do my best to explain now.  A program matrix is set up with and rows representing the program outcomes  and multiple columns representing each year of the major.  Specific faculty take responsibility for developing assignments to populate specific cells in their courses .  Cells can be populated via direct interaction with the matrix or via assignment linking.  The person responsible for populating the critical thinking cell for first year students used assignment linking.  Students submitted their assignments and they now show up in the cell.  But because most of the students haven't touched their matrix yet, when she tried to convert all cells to pending so she can evaluate them, it didn't work.  Now think ahead a year. A different faculty member is teaching the same course and this faculty member wants students to pick their best work and upload it to the cell.  These students were added to the matrix after the first cohort had already been evaluated, so they are unaffected by the manage status for all users command.  But if we change the initial status to "pending" (either as part of the authoring process or via the status change for all users, all user added to the site will start out with a pending status, which will prevent them from uploading content directly to the cell.  I suppose we could simply change the initial status back to ready, but I'm not sure it make sense to change the default values every time we have a new cohort.  Ideally, I'd like to see the manage status command be group-aware.  With a group aware version, we could instantiate the matrix and do a bulk status change for only the users who need to be evaluated.

Lynn

Lynn Ward, Principal Systems Analyst, Community Source Collaboration and Learning
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
Information Technology and Communications Complex (IT 218S)
535 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202