[DG: Teaching & Learning] Possible merge of Sakai-user and Pedagogy lists

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Wed Jan 14 11:52:57 PST 2015

Little history here...

The pedagogy list dates back to the start of Sakai I believe (before I got
involved at least).  Over the years its use has ranged from mostly
administrative, planning calls, etc., to more strategic discussions around
teaching and learning issues.  I believe the Using Sakai list was created,
more recently, to give people a place to ask more functional questions
about how a tool works, etc.

In terms of my thoughts...

I think merging is best as I tend to end up posting to both all of the
time not knowing who is on one but not the other.  I would suggest that we
consider referring to this as the "teaching and learning list" or some
similar terms rather than pedagogy as over the years there have been
discussions around the term "pedagogy" being confusing to some in other
parts of the world where the term is not used much or because it can mean
different things to different people.  I think teaching and learning is
clearer (I actually think we tried to change the name at one point but hit
a technical issue and weren't able to do so).

FYI, Josh

Joshua Baron
Senior Academic Technology Officer
Marist College