[DG: Teaching & Learning] Sakai 11 planning

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Oct 16 12:46:03 PDT 2014

[pedagogy]

Hi all,

We just are ramping back up on our planning for Sakai 11. I wanted to
give you a heads up and to encourage thinking about the best way that
the Teaching and Learning group can participate in the planning.  The
Sakai Core team will be reviewing the Sakai 11 strawperson over the next
couple of weeks [1].  A couple of ways of thinking about things are to
pick a date to get most of our development done, leaving time for string
freeze (allowing time for translations) and quality assurance testing,
therefore limiting the scope to what we can realistically accomplish. Or
pushing the date out further so we can get a greater amount of
functionality into the release. Typically we might have a code freeze
around the end of January for a release around May.

It's also possible that with core changes to the system (removal of
iFrames, Morpheus responsive design, etc) we may want to have more time
for burn in or perhaps even a separate beta release (Sakai 12?). In
other words, the discussion on timeline and scope is pretty wide open at
the moment. We will try and get some status updates on major features
that could go into a Sakai 11.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Neal