[DG: Teaching & Learning] Assignment resubmission issue

Jim Mezzanotte jmezzanotte at anisakai.com
Tue Jun 17 11:06:20 PDT 2014

Hi Neal,

On the one hand, I can definitely understand the use case here--if
you're an instructor allowing a resubmission, you probably want
comments to be displayed, since they will help a student with that
resubmission.

But IMHO, the determining question should always be, what is the
expected behavior for a certain button label/functionality?

In this case, "save" means two things--it means saving score/comment,
regardless of release (visibility), but it also means applying the
resubmission setting, again regardless of release.

So essentially, "release" only has to do with score/comment
visibility. And if clicking "save and don't release" results in a
student seeing a score/comment, that definitely isn't expected
behavior.

Maybe the deeper problem is that "save" and "release" functions are
combined. For example, it might be better to have only a "save"
button, and then have a separate button or checkmark for releasing
scores/comments.

Best,
Jim Mezzanotte
Asahi Net International