[DG: Teaching & Learning] Fwd: [Building Sakai] New joinable site settings, which should be on by default? (SAK-24423)

Jeff Ziegler ziegler at umich.edu
Fri Jan 31 06:45:46 PST 2014

My 2¢.

Only setting two should be on by default.  Based on years of feedback and user requests I think our users will find functions 1, 2, and especially 3 very useful.  However, in my experience, many site maintainers are unaware that Group functionality exists.  So to have a default that (seems) to require them to create a group before making their site Joinable would be a confusion point and lead to a user support request.

It's possible I'm misunderstanding how the Joiner Group function works in practice; I generally prefer to do a hands-on run-through of new functionality before making suggestions, but I don't think it should be on by default.  It is a nice feature, tho.

Jeff