[DG: Teaching & Learning] Assignments - Save and Don't Release

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Aug 13 06:03:08 PDT 2014

Hi All,

As you can see below, we had quite a distribution of votes for how the
behavior should work for assignment resubmissions and the "Save and
Don't Release to Student" workflow. Therefore, if we have time perhaps
we can discuss the options today or at a meeting in the near future to
see if we can hash things out?

Survey options for Assignments "Save and Don't Release to Student" and
assignment resubmission:

  1. Keep the current behavior. Unlike the markup in the student's
submission, which is different each time the student submits, the
instructor feedback is intended as a final assessment of the work, which
should not be released until grade is released. Probably needs an
additional note explaining.
  2. Comment is intended to be a comment on the current submission.
Student should see it, and it should be cleared when the student does a
new submission. In this case Don't Release applies to the grade, not the
feedback.
  3. Same as #2 except student should have access to the previous feedback.
  4. Comment is intended as a final assessment, but student should see
it when doing revisions. In this case the student should see the current
feedback text, but it should not be cleared when the student does a new
submission. In this case Don't release applies to the grade, not the
feedback.
  5. Allowing resubmissions should only be allowed for Save and Release
to Student, which provides the grade and the instructor feedback to the
student, and this option, allowing resubmissions, should be removed for
Save and Don't Release to Student. Perhaps that button should be renamed
"Save Draft", to make this behavior clearer.

10 institutions voted.

Option 5 - 4 votes
Option 3 - 3 votes
Option 1 - 2 votes