[DG: Teaching & Learning] Question on student sign ups

Beith, Linda lbeith at rwu.edu
Tue Nov 19 08:27:49 PST 2013

Hi everyone,
I have a couple of faculty requests that are similar and I thought I'd run them by the group to see if anyone has discovered solutions.

 1.  A faculty member wants to have groups of 3 or 4 students do a video explanation of separate math concepts. He would like the students to sign up for their own groups.
 2.  Another faculty member has students sign up for a topic to do a final project and wants students to identify their first choice on the list. Only one topic per student so that when the first person signs up for a topic it is no longer available to everyone else in the class.
I have looked at the Group tool - no self signup available - and the Sign Up tool - limited to day and time slots. I also looked at the Quiz/Survey tool but this doesn't work either since the students can't see other responses and there is no way to limit access once the first choice was made.

Anyone else run into these types of scenarios and found a solution?
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Linda

Linda L. Beith, Ph.D.
Roger Williams University