[DG: Teaching & Learning] rethinking/simplifying learning activities

Oliver Heyer oliver at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 8 09:10:14 PDT 2011

See below

On 9/7/11 4:40 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Oliver Heyer<oliver at media.berkeley.edu>  wrote:
>
>> To meet some initial objectives for the UC Berkeley OAE pilot that
>> weren't on the critical path for the central project at the time, we
>> implemented capabilities that allow college advisers to send
>> notifications to students about things that they need to attend to,
>> usually an important administrative task or event. We've built 2 widgets
>> for managing lists of tasks and events, respectively. You can sort,
>> filter, check off, and archive the list items. The tasks and events are
>> also delivered as iCal via email.
>>
> Yeah, this is the nice thing about a task model; easy to integrate
> with other tools and services. Cool.

The tasks and events are actually stored as caldav on a Bedework server.
Unfortunately, the project to implement Bedework as UCB's new enterprise
calendar came up short, and the campus will be going another route.
>> Generalizing, expanding on, and/or integrating these capabilities into
>> OOTB OAE has been an obvious longer term goal from the beginning. This
>> process is unlikely to follow the relatively straightforward Sakai CLE
>> tool/code contribution model.
>>
> What does this mean Oliver?

Sorry to be cryptic. It's just not clear that the widget-based solution
we've built is the appropriate foundation for the generalized task
management function under discussion. Apart from the design questions,
it would require additional work to make the code less
Berkeley-specific. As an effect of removing the dependency on Bedework,
we will take some significant steps in that direction. Whether or not it
makes sense to push even further ahead is an open question.
> As a general point, it'd be nice if people/institutions working on OAE
> widgets would put them up on github and encourage forking.

See mylinks, myevents, and mytasks in
https://github.com/ets-berkeley-edu/3akai-ux/tree/dev/devwidgets. See
also the caveats just above.