[DG: Teaching & Learning] portfolios, OAE, and a new verb: curate?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 06:35:02 PDT 2011

I don't really have experience working with ePortfolios, but am
wondering about something that might have bearing on how they fit in
OAE:

Could we not say that much of what happens in a portfolio comes down
to curating content?

Consider two different use cases:

1) an art history professor is teaching a course and would like to
setup a gallery of images for her student. She selects them from her
content repository, but then wants to add course-specific captions.

2) student wants to pull in a blog post from a course for their
portfolio, and needs to add a reflective description of the context of
that choice.

My question: don't these two cases have more-or-less the same
requirements: the ability to curate content with
context/audience-specific annotation/captioning?

I haven't seen a notion of curation in existing documentation (say the
design lenses); just wondering if it's useful.

I also worry a bit about thinking about portfolios as too distinct
from the core needs of OAE or both may suffer.

Bruce