[DG: Teaching & Learning] Using Google Docs

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:16:42 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM, John Johnston <johnpj at umich.edu> wrote:
> Here are some observations of the rSmart Google Docs integration:
>
> Integration Features:
> • Dynamic links to Google Docs. Derivative formats of a Google Docs are automatically updated when the source file is edited
> • Read access to Google Docs for site participants. Resources created of the type “Link to Google Doc” will automatically allow sakai site participants to read the content of the Doc regardless of the permissions settings for that document in Google Docs.
> • Access to the Google conversion engine (save files as .pdf, jpeg, .zip, rtf, etc.). Conversion formats available vary depending on the file type of the source file.
> • Document editing within Google Docs (for those with granted access through Google Docs)
>

> Shortcomings:
> • Google Mail, Calendar, Photos, and Sites are not integrated
> • The directory of Google Docs does not provide any metadata (date Modified, file type, size); This limits the user’s ability to identify the correct file
> • Editing permissions from the Resource tool are not passed through to Google Docs to site participants with “edit any resource” permission (empowered users can edit properties, but not the file contents in Google Docs).

So if I understand you right, it's not ready for prime-time as I define it?

E.g. I couldn't have a class of 40, split up into ten groups in Sakai,
and tie permissions for editing (and in particular, commenting) Google
Documents based on those Sakai groups?

If that's right, where do I submit an enhancement request for this tool?

Bruce