[DG: Teaching & Learning] portfolios, OAE, and a new verb: curate?

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Sat Apr 2 04:59:06 PDT 2011

I believe this model is in the design thinking through 'placements'. When a resource is used in a page it should be through a 'placement' so that resource metadata can be maintained independently of metadata related to a placement. As a simple example, if a simple image is uploaded and used in a blog post, but shared more widely on upload, then metatdata like upload time, image size, etc. should be stored with the image. If in the blog post the image also acquires some contextual metadata (e.g. image 1 in a series of 4), that is stored with the placement in the blog post. A person discovering the image via the available resource store would not get the blog-context-specific metadata, but could create context metadata of their own when they place the image into a new context.

This was all discussed a long time ago. I don't know how close we are to including this in our implementations.

John