[DG: Teaching & Learning] Portfolios in Sakai OAE

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:47:37 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:29 PM, janice.smith
<janice.smith at threecanoes.com> wrote:

> Our continued work on portfolio minispecs seeks to fill the gaps between the
> two existing portfolio projects, current OAE functionality, and our hopes
> for future portfolio possibilities in Sakai OAE. We will appreciate your
> continued interest in our portfolio visioning activities. Curating content
> (good verb!) is something that portfolios definitely do, but in this day and
> age, portfolio functionality is called upon to do much more!

Yes, I get that, particularly around assessment.

But I guess I'm saying I want to see advanced assessment that would be
equally useful for both shorten-term, course-specific, teaching and
learning, and the longer-term, more comprehensive perspective embedded
in a portfolio.

At the same time, I'd like to see courses be able to offer smarter curation.

I was prompted to think about this in part based on a recent
conversation I was having with some assessment and portfolio people on
campus. One of them was pointing out all the cool features of a
proprietary portfolio product we have, but that a) students don't much
like having to learn and use two different systems, and b) faculty
didn't much like a particular limitation of the tool (details not
important).

More on some details related to all this coming soon (drafting the
email right now).

Bruce