[DG: Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] Sakai Open Academic Environment confirmed as official Sakai Foundation project

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 17:21:46 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Michael Feldstein
<michael.feldstein at oracle.com> wrote:

> Think of it as a code name. Both private source and open source software projects use code names while software is in development (e.g., Firefox 1.5's code name was Deer Park, and Netscape's code name before that was Mozilla). Sometimes these code names end up becoming final brand names (e.g., Mac OS X Leopard, Tiger, etc.) and sometimes they don't. I don't think it's a problem as long as there isn't a big effort to push OAE as the new brand hotness.

Not sure the analogy works though. I don't recall an example of an
in-development project with one publicly-identified name changing
names mid-project. For example, you didn't first have "Firefox 2",
then "Deer Park" and finally "Firefox 1.5."

I already find myself stumbling when mentioning in conversation "the
in-development next version of Sakai that's not the Sakai we know."

> For now, the point is that the project is not an incremental update to Sakai 2.7 but, rather, a completely different project.

Fair enough. I get that impulse.

Bruce