[DG: Teaching & Learning] Learning Activities and Portfolios: time for a talk?

nate.angell at rsmart.com nate.angell at rsmart.com
Fri Mar 26 10:36:07 PDT 2010

Lucy:

I also found your post promising and inspiring. I encourage you all at
NYU to share more of the valuable work you are doing.

This thread touches on something that I have long felt has slowed
portfolio adoption and use in Sakai.

To be overly simplistic, I see portfolio as having four main
activities that can be seen as a kind of lifecycle.

1) Collecting, authoring and reflecting

2) Sharing and conversing

3) Relating and evaluating (to other learning/social practices)

4) Reporting, synthesizing, and analyizing

Sakai portfolio tools—along with a lot of other major portfolio tools
—have never really provided a satisfying experience for number 1
above. So above all, I believe the first priority for portfolio
capabilities in Sakai 3 should be to provide a satisfying basic
experience for portfolio authors. Everything else is a secondary
priority.

Fortunately, it seems the basic authoring capabilities of Sakai 3 will
take us a long way towards that first priority.

Sakai portfolio tools have also fallen short on providing good
pathways for number 4 above. So just as the lack of satisfying
authoring tools has hampered user adoption and use, the lack of
satisfying reporting tools has hampered institutional adoption and
use. I know less about basic reporting capabilities in Sakai 3, but I
would hope that they are able to leapfrog Sakai 2's reporting
complexities.

Sakai 2 has focused a lot of effort on portfolio activities in numbers
2-3 above, but because it's hard to get stuff in and take things out,
they often end up a barren, bloated middle.

It's as if Sakai portfolio tools have so far been thin on both ends
and fat in the middle. We should work to make the Sakai 3 portfolio
experience fat on both ends and thin in the middle: moving from the
tuber to the hourglass.

- Nate