[DG: Teaching & Learning] Bb acquisition of Elluminate/Wimba, an opportunity for Sakai?

Michael Feldstein michael.feldstein at oracle.com
Fri Jul 9 09:22:21 PDT 2010

It depends on what you mean by "under the umbrella." It certainly makes sense for us to build first-class integrations and generally cultivate good relationships with both projects. That strikes me as a no-brainer. If you mean invite one or both of these projects to become part of the Sakai Foundation, that's a more complicated question. Dimdim is company-driven open source, so I don't think they'd want to join the Foundation or that they'd be a good fit. BigBlueButton is a bit more interesting. I'm having a little trouble figuring out the organization from their web site, but I get the sense that they are more higher education community-driven. If they were interested in becoming a Sakai Foundation project (and therefore getting increased access to the community, marketing support, exposure at the conferences, etc.), there would be a bunch of questions we'd have to work out between the two communities to make sure the partnership would be win-win for everybody. But I definitely think it would be worth exploring.

- m

--
HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/" \nOracle
Michael Feldstein | Principal Product Manager

HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/commitment" \nGreen Oracle	 Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment

  _____