[DG: Teaching & Learning] Online placement tests

David Goodrum davidgoodrum at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 26 12:08:21 PST 2010

Hello all,

Our College of Arts and Sciences is investigating
online placement tests for foreign languages, math, and chemistry.
Currently, most of these placement tests are given using
paper/scantrons during orientation and results are shipped to advisors
"just-in-time" for advising/placement.

The idea is to move the tests
online and, ideally, allow students to take them before arriving on
campus. We know that some schools do this already but we'd like to make
sure we know the current state of placement testing at your
institutions.  For us, an additional idea is that to get any credit for show proficiency in a subject would require an additional test on campus.  So these online tests are specifically for placement.

Specific questions we're, we'd like to know:

1) What percentage of your placement tests are given
online?
2) Do you have a single online system for these
tests? Or do you have multiple systems developed/maintained by different
departments/ units?
3) Do you allow or require students to take online
placement tests off-campus?
4) If students take tests off-campus, what support
mechanisms are in place?
5) How do advisors access the test results?
6) Do you offer online tests for credit? Are any of
those offered off-campus? What support and security mechanisms are
in place?

Thanks for you help with this. We'll share back info we find out.
Regards - David Goodrum, Indiana University