[DG: Teaching & Learning] Fwd: New to Sakai

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Mon Aug 30 15:36:50 PDT 2010

Jeffrey,

First, welcome to the Sakai community!  Let me assure you that everyone in
this community has at one time or another struggled to get involved and to
understand what you find when you begin to search around some of our
online collaboration spaces, such as our "Confluence Wiki".  These are
online environments where hundreds of people around the world are actively
documenting work, sharing ideas, and collaborating...in a sense, you've
stumbled into our global office...and an office where we don't have that
many folks around to help us keep things neat and cleaned up.  You can
think about it as if you had walked into the middle of the NY Stock
Exchange in the middle of a trading day...it would probably look like
complete chaos but there is actually lot of organized stuff going on.

A potentially good place to get started is at
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=26444079
as this is a "FAQ" for those who are new to Sakai.  I will note that this
site has not been updated in the last 9 months or so (again, part of the
challenge as we don't have a lot of resources for such things) but it will
help answer some of your questions.

Rather than listing out a lot of other places to go, I'd suggest that you
begin there and then post your specific questions to this list...you'll
find that many of us jump in to help out.

I hope this helps.

Again, welcome!

Josh

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron