[DG: Teaching & Learning] Fwd: UIEtips: 3 Questions You Shouldn't Ask During User Research

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Wed Aug 18 15:49:05 PDT 2010

Thanks, Daphne. Interesting points, especially the one about asking for
future behavior.

I'm not sure that works in our domain, or at least that we need a different
rule of thumb than asking about past behavior. I'm one of those who thinks
that past behavior may be a big part of the problem. In my experience with
that sort of question (not extensive, but we've done a few rounds in the HCI
lab) I get descriptions of ingenious workarounds that seem like they might
be as unhelpful to the user research as speculating about a rational future.
For now, I tend to try to steer them toward describing what problem it is
they're trying to solve as directly as they can, on the assumption that none
of the tools they have available to them really speaks to that problem.

~Clay