[DG: Teaching & Learning] Question about Sakai renaming tools

Mike Hurley mhurley at allegheny.edu
Tue Apr 20 07:01:24 PDT 2010

Hi Rita,

Our instructors have full access to 'Reorder Tools', although most use it
just to reorder the tools and don't actually rename the tools.  One
interesting exception I know of is with one of our Spanish instructors who
translates all of the tool names into Spanish, which seems to me to be an
excellent use of that functionality and offers real pedagogical value.

For the most part instructors reordering/renaming tools has not provided
much of a challenge in supporting the students. I have actually heard far
more student complaints with the different ways that instructors organize
their sites as whole. Some use the syllabus tool, others place it in
resources, some collect assignments using the assignments tool, others use
the drop box. One of the great challenges for those of us who support both
instructors and students is trying to find a balance between the
instructor's need for flexibility, and the student's desire for a consistent
experience, and I think this is a challenge arises in all areas of Sakai.

Michael Hurley
Instructional Technologist
Allegheny College
520 North Main St.