[DG: Teaching & Learning] Learning Activities Investigation: Adventures with Human Subjects Research

Ken Masters kmasters at ithealthed.com
Mon Oct 5 23:25:17 PDT 2009

Hi All

Just to support what Robin says - the need for consent forms for any
research with humans, including interviews and focus groups, is now
becoming standard (and if your institution has a medical/health sciences
faculty, then the chances are that it's moving even faster, as much of
the impetus stems from the medical concept of 'informed consent').  More
and more journals (e.g. "Medical Education") are refusing to publish
papers unless the author states explicitly that consent was given; some
want the author to cite the specific reference number so that it can be
verified.

Generally, it's not difficult to get approval for research involving
interviews, as it's classified as "non-invasive" (or an equivalent -
i.e. as opposed to injecting something into someone).  Although it's
initially a pain, the forms do frequently help researchers to focus on
the core of what they want the users to do, why they want them to do it,
and how they intend to analyse and ultimately use the results, so it's a
pretty valuable process.

It also serves as protection for the researcher - you'll be surprised at
the number of people who give consent to be part of research, and then
forget that they did.  I have had this experience myself - fortunately,
I still had the original consent form signed by the subject, so was able
to proceed; otherwise, I would have run the risk of having my entire PhD
rejected.

Regards

Ken

Ken Masters