[DG: Teaching & Learning] Advanced Sakai Portfolio Training at Marist College

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Fri Nov 13 10:32:14 PST 2009

My apologies for the multiple list postings, I just wanted to make sure
that the community was aware of this opportunity. - Josh

Marist College is hosting an advanced Sakai portfolio training on our
campus in Poughkeepsie, New York on December 10-11, 2009.

We have tried to keep costs low to just cover expenses: $750 per attendee
for the two days training, including lunch and refreshments. We have 10
attendees so far and are capping it at 20, so it will be very intimate and
focused experience. To register, please email nate.angell at rsmart.com to
reserve your spot and arrange payment details.

The training will be led by Sean Keesler and Janice Smith of Three Canoes,
whose expertise is based on years of successfully implementing portfolios
in a variety of educational contexts. Sean and Janice offer a functional
and technical training package that has proven successful in numerous
venues and attends to the individual needs and learning styles of each
participant.

The training follows a free, part-day general interest K-20 portfolio
Innovations event at Marist that will take place from 11am-4pm, December
9, 2009. We encourage training participants to attend the Innovations
event as an opportunity to meet portfolio practitioners from other
institutions and engage with portfolios from institutional and functional
perspectives.
http://www.rsmart.com/event/marist-colleges-innovations-eportfolios-transforming-k-20-educational-experience

Training Prerequisites

A working understanding of XML, XSL and XSD.
A computer with OxygenXML installed (the trial version is fine) or another
XML IDE of your choice. The instructors will be using OxygenXML.
A sakai instance to work on. A QA server, free Try Sakai account or your
own server would work. The instructors will be working with Sakai 2.6, but
versions back as far as Sakai 2.4 should present no significant issues.

Training Agenda

Spend two concentrated days acquiring understanding and expertise in Sakai
portfolio tools, data structures and how they work together to enact
portfolio experiences. The goal of this training is to promote
self-sufficiency in using Sakai portfolio tools for specific institutional
purposes.

Desired participant outcomes include:

An overall understanding of how the Sakai portfolio tool suite can be
customized to accomplish a range of educational purposes.
Enhanced expertise in the use of the XML stack to build portfolio data
structures.
Success in creating portfolio forms using Form Builder, XML schema in
Oxygen, and custom form renderers.
Step-by-step experience in building a portfolio template using a
pre-prepared generic design that can be extended to match specific
institutional needs.
Integration of portfolio knowledge and skills into strategic planning for
specific institutional purposes.
Significant process in developing a portfolio template tailored to the
needs of each participating institution.

Training Schedule

12/10 Morning: Functional and technical overview of the portfolio tool
suite; planning your portfolio implementation.
12/10 Afternoon: Updating your expertise in using XML and Oxygen; creating
forms with Form Builder and as XML schema in Oxygen.
12/11 Morning: Building a portfolio template using Oxygen and a
pre-prepared template design that can be modified to meet your
institutional needs.
12/11 Afternoon: Integrating portfolio knowledge and skills to build a
portfolio template for your institution.

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron