[DG: Teaching & Learning] Extended Matching Item questions - feedback wanted

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Mon Nov 9 07:38:38 PST 2009

Hi all,

To support work underway to improve computer-based assessment in our Faculty of Health Sciences, UCT is embarking on implementing support in Tests & Quizzes for Extended Matching Items (EMIs, aka R-type MCQs).

The JIRA for tracking this work is http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17243 (a more detailed spec will appear there within a week or so).

There are a number of variations and details in EMIs which are non-obvious and we're looking for anyone else with an interest in using EMIs in Sakai, or with experience of using EMIs in other platforms that support them explicitly.

Here are some articles on EMIs if you haven't come across them before:

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JVME/V20-3/wilson.html
http://www.bioscience.heacademy.ac.uk/journal/vol1/beej-1-2.aspx
http://pb.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/27/6/230
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_matching_items