[DG: Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] User Goals

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 5 03:51:57 PST 2009

The EduTools approach to purchasing decisions is widely used because
it gives the appearance of objectivity and is relatively easy and low-
cost to operate.

In my personal opinion, this is a naive approach to purchasing that
explains a great deal of the subsequent unhappiness in large IT
deployments. Much information is lost in mapping to the 'feature
boxes' and the boxes themselves are often defined from a base of a
particular implementation.

Given the cost of adoption, and the later costs of switching if the
wrong choice is made (or the cost of trying to justify the decision
that _was_ made), the value of investing in the process of selection
cannot be under-estimated.

I genuinely believe that there is tremendous value in identifying
these technology-neutral faculty (and student) goals and then
dispassionately (and ideally with users) assessing how readily the
product facilitates those goals, and that this is the right approach
to making a choice. Unfortunately, the process can take time and
investment and can be challenged as open to subjective analysis. The
good news is that the subjective analysis may be the way in which
institutional culture is allowing into the decision and much of the
investment in investigation will be valuable and reusable when you
come to deploying the chosen system.

HTH
John