[DG: Teaching & Learning] Research on Discussion Forums

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 4 15:27:34 PST 2009

In this morning's T&L call, Keli mentioned that at Stanford they have
some grad students doing research around discussion forum use.  Her
comment reminded me that when I was at Michigan we convinced some
School of Information grad students to do the same for a class
project.  I've attached the student's report in confluence (see link
below) and am copying pedagogy and UX as I think it might be broadly
interesting -- particularly with various visioning exercises going on
in the community.  It is based on Ctools, Michigan's instance of Sakai.

The students describe a design direction they think would be useful,
particularly to students.  They also describe general needs, user
models and various other analysis they do along the way.  Much of
analysis seems like ti could be valuable to anyone thinking about
discussions in Sakai 3.

CToolsFinalReport.pdf:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=16613471&sortBy=date&highlight=CToolsFinalReport.pdf&

Note:  An odd place for it to live but without a particular project I
wasn't sure where to put it.  If anyone has a better idea for
location, please feel free to move it or let me know.

Enjoy!

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
University of California, Berkeley