[DG: Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] User Goals

Robin Hill hill at uwyo.edu
Wed Nov 4 11:47:19 PST 2009

Since I take this seriously, having spent years teaching computer
science students to separate design from implementaion, maybe I can
illustrate the process and the difficulty with a spreadsheet entry of my
own.

========
 From the point of view of an instructor (of a logic course):

1.  I want an Example Bank.
Bad-- no functional description.

2.  I want a set of tagged text records in an associative array.
Bad-- assumes a particular mechanism.

3.  I want to maintain my examples in a personal blog that allows labels
on postings.
Bad-- assumes a particular tool.

4.  I want examples that I can look up and use.
Bad-- too general and vague.

5.  I want to save example of statements and reasoning when encountered
in daily life, and I want to retrieve them based on their properties
when composing course materials.
Good!
========

Clay is welcome to comment, especially if this is NOT what he has in mind.

--
  Robin Hill, Ph.D.       hill at uwyo.edu       307-766-5499
  Instructional Computing Services            http://www.uwyo.edu/ctl