[DG: Teaching & Learning] User Goals

Luke Fernandez luke.fernandez at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 09:29:21 PST 2009

An interesting exercise....which begs the question (which I think Clay
alludes to at the end of his post) as to whether pedagogical goals
can, in all instances, be articulated in ways that are abstracted from
the technologies we use for teaching and learning.

A case in point is that many instructors (especially in the
humanities) view reading and writing as fundamental skills that they
seek to impart to their students.  But reading and writing are
themselves techniques and presume the use of the written word which is
itself a technology.  In the first monday article that Michael
circulated Lane seems to be lamenting as Thoreau did that we are
becoming tools of our tools.  But technology is so embedded in the
teaching of some disciplines that it would be difficult to get away
from this circularity.

Cheers,

Luke