[DG: Teaching & Learning] Online Course Evaluations

Sabine Grabner sabine.grabner at fhv.at
Tue Jun 9 05:02:46 PDT 2009

Hi John,

I am actively working on an open source online survey tool, named
QSYS. We are using it for course evaluations as well as degree program
evaluations. To meet our needs we added LDAP and Shibboleth
authentication for both authors and interviewees, as well as support
for templates. Templates are created by the quality management
department and then used by instructors (optional) and degree program
heads (mandatory). Using questionnaires based on templates allows
comparison of survey results across degree programs/terms/years.

Each questionnaire has a whitelist stating who can participate at an
individual survey. The questionnaires are generated by a separate QSYS
client, that gathers information about degree programs and students
thereof from our SIS. The logic of this client is probably the part
that needs to be added to Sakai. Additionally some sort of persistence
may be needed between the course and the questionnaire ID (or URL). We
do not use any persistence her as the questionnaire ID follows a
pattern.

To access the course evaluation students follow a link from our e-
Learning platform (in-house production) to the respective evaluation.
The link goes to the QSYS web interface where the student has to
login. After successful authorization the student is added to the
blacklist to guarantee single participation. Before the actual
interview starts private data get cleared. If Shibboleth SSO is set
up, the login screen is omitted.

Cross comparison as mentioned above is not supported by the QSYS UI
yet. This feature was added to our QM web application as we also
wanted a filter function for pre-selecting degree program/term/year
that is not understood by the logic of QSYS.

QSYS is a Java Web Application tested on Tomcat 5.5.x. The official
website is http://survey4all.org/ but last changes pretty much predate
our development efforts.

If you are further interested you can request an account to check out
the sources. Alternatively I can send you a .war for easy deployment.
The user manual is only available in German but the Admin and dev
documentations are being worked on in English.

Cheers,

Sabine

On 08.06.2009, at 21:32, Gosney, John wrote:

> Hello everyone --
>
> Pardon the duplication as this is being sent to a few lists.
>
> Other than EvalSys, is anyone aware of/using another open source
> solution?
>
> Thanks very much!
>

> _______________________________
> John Gosney