[DG: Teaching & Learning] Sakai 3 groups, roles, and course sites

Robin E. H. Ove robino at ucsc.edu
Wed Jul 29 10:23:34 PDT 2009

Hello all,
Let me just say I am new to this up front. This has been a very
thoughtful discussion and I have begun reviewing the confluence docs.
Thank you so much for this project! One issue I seem to be missing
information are current thoughts in handling the FERPA needs of
students who have officially requested non-disclosure of information
via the Registrar and how it is maintained globally throughout the
Sakai 3 toolset, perhap via role mapping. I get a sense that with the
new user functionality to set privacy settings will cover much of
this, but with the the larger impact of 'external' membership and
external social networking hosts how will we ensure those student's
privacy?  It is common for users of social networking software to be
unaware of how to effectively manage their own privacy settings, so
what can we do to limit risk in the environments we institutionally
control?

Thank you for the community participation!
- Robin Ove
UC Santa Cruz
At 8:03 AM -0400 7/29/09, John Leasia wrote:
>One comment way below...
>
>Michael Korcuska wrote:
>
>>Comments inline....
>>
>>On Jul 24, 2009, at 12:01, Ray Davis wrote:
>>

>>>The recently staffed Sakai 3 "Groups" project is tackling a lot: group
>>>management, roles, permission mappings, and integration with group
>>>memberships in the Real World -- notably the real world memberships of
>>>classrooms, tutorial groups, and academic departments. Currently the
>>>best place to track and aid our progress is an odd little side-room in
>>>the sakai-dev Confluence space:
>>>
>>><http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SAKDEV/Creating+and+Managing+User+Groups>http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SAKDEV/Creating+and+Managing+User+Groups
>>>
>>>(I'm certain that this URL will change -- we still need to get a
>>>dedicated collaboration space and task-tracking -- but given all the
>>>conference discussions and how many of you we'll be bothering over the
>>>next few months, I didn't want to wait any longer to send this
>>>introduction.)
>>>
>>>We're starting with a somewhat risky split between a UX effort focused
>>>on good basic "group management" and a service development effort that
>>>tries to lay a foundation for flexible real-world integrations.
>>>
>>>In Sakai 3, such integrations won't be _confined_ to "course sites"
>>>but
>>>they certainly need to _include_ them. To put it more verbosely, two
>>>aspects distinguish a course site from other online collaborative
>>>spaces:
>>>
>>>(A) Incorporation of (or integration with) existing academic social
>>>structures. This may include basing online access and user roles on
>>>things like department position, cohort membership, class enrollments,
>>>section assignments, tutorial groups, librarian specialties, and so
>>>on.
>>>We know that some installations will mimic these associations by
>>>entering all the data by hand, others will fill them in automatically
>>>from campus systems, and still others will let end-users themselves
>>>decide how and when to create Sakai workspaces from those systems. But
>>>no matter which approach is taken, at the end of the process,
>>>participants consider themselves in the context of a real-world
>>>academic
>>>community.
>>>

>jl> I agree the distinction between course and project sites
>produces at times artificial boundaries that don't need to be there.
>But it has helped, here anyway, distinguish what one can do in one
>site type vs another. Here, the desire was to make course sites
>(sites representing official courses for which you registered for
>and paid money to take, representing the U, etc. etc.) somewhat
>consistent. So students wouldn't wonder where Resources were in one
>site vs another where the instructor decided to call one Class Notes
>and another References or whatever. So we have limits on what an
> [...]

Robin E. H. Ove, Sr. Manager
ITS Instructional Technology Group
Instructional Support and Media Development
Faculty Instructional Technology Center
University of California, Santa Cruz
MS: ITS East Communications
1156 High St.