[DG: Teaching & Learning] Sakai 3 groups, roles, and course sites

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 24 14:12:59 PDT 2009

I'm supportive of the desire to avoid the course/project site
dichotomy, but I don't mind talking about a "simple course site" for
now, for pragmatic reasons.  Part of the point in my mind is to help
people imagine how courses might be different in Sakai 3, and to
facilitate that kind of thinking at first by starting with simple and
familiar terms.  I don't, in fact, think of this "simple course site"
as a deliverable for Sakai 3 so much as a heuristic for rethinking
course support in Sakai 3; a way to synthesize a number of design
issues (and hopefully draw together various projects) to a first
order.

But it should probably still be noted that Sakai 3 has a concept which
is poised to supersede the site type in Sakai 2, for good or ill -
it's the "site template."  The fundamental differences between the
template and the type, as far as I understand them, is that the former
has something more to say about structure, and also that individuals
(or organizational units) can create their own templates. They are not
all institutionally configured, in other words, but I think we can
imagine that the user lexicon will pick up on template names in the
same way that they've picked up on project and course sites.  I
imagine statements like, "Well, for my creative writing course I use
my own template that's kind of halfway between a course and a personal
blog. Would you like me to share it with you?" The first instinct is
to see infinite possibility, but I think expediency and simplicity
will over time leave a relatively small set of standard templates as
cookie cutters of best practices.

That said, this relatively small set will probably start to separate
and harden around families of practice like "Science course with a
lab," or "Professional education cohort" or "Distance Learning."

~Clay

PS Was I supposed to mention groups in there somewhere? Or be helpful?