[DG: Teaching & Learning] Sakai Teaching and Learning Call > NEW INITIATIVE DISCUSSION

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Tue Jul 21 08:31:34 PDT 2009

Folks,

As some of you are aware, one of the issues that was discussed at the
Sakai conference in Boston was the need to reinvent the "requirements
gathering" process and find news ways to gather user input..  There
appears to be a desire, over time, to have community-based user
functionality needs become a target at which development work is aimed
rather than the more common approach today of having development work
start and then have user input feed into that work.

A small group of interested community members have been continuing this
discussion following the conference and I would like to take some time on
this week's call to review/discuss some of the ideas that have surfaced.
I'm hoping that those in the community who have an interest in teaching
and learning issues might want to become actively involved in helping to
lead and drive some new initiatives in this area.

Some very "raw" and early thoughts are now up on Confluence at:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/USER/A+Community+Process+for+Requirements+Gathering

At the end of that page are links to some of the work the OSP community is
doing which I and others see as a model that may work well for other
projects.

Sorry for the long e-mail but I wanted to provide some background before
we head into the call tomorrow.  The call and discussion are open to all
so please don't hesitate to jump in even if you don't regularly
participate in these calls.

CALL IN INFORMATION:

Calls are currently taking place on Wednesdays at 11:30 AM EST (New York,
USA) each week.

    * The Conference Bridges support both Internet (e.g., Polycom,
XMeeting (for MacOS), Ekiga (Linux, Windows)) and telephone connections:
          o Telephone: +1 812 856 7060
          o Internet: 156.56.240.9

Sakai003

    * Conference Code: 386#
    * PIN: 72524#

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron