[DG: Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] Wiki's and Sakai

Luke FERNANDEZ LFERNANDEZ at weber.edu
Mon Apr 6 11:24:12 PDT 2009

My apologies if I'm a little out of the loop....just a point of
clarification; is the sentiment that " I can't really imagine a
scenario where content authoring is not something Sakai offers OOTB as
a core native function" something that is shared by the strongest
drivers in the 3G initiative?  My impression is that it is and that
many people recognize the need and that one sees this in the 3akai
demos even.  But demos I've seen by Instructure, and advertised talks
by Chuck of "placing LMS systems into content instead of placing
content into LMS systems" (
http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/000602.html ) suggest that there are
perhaps alternative equally viable ways of teaching.  I haven't yet
seen Chuck's talk so I may be reading too much into the blurb.....but
the way Instructure imagines it is that faculty members would host
their content in a Wiki or CMS and then link out to the LMS for more
private discussions, gradebooks and assessments.  Sorry if my question
is a couple steps back here in the flow of DG conversations....just
trying to catch up.

Cheers,

Luke

>>> Nate Angell <nate.angell at rsmart.com> 4/6/2009 11:29 AM >>>
I think two very different strategies for defining Sakai are being
called up in this discussion.

One imagines Sakai as having native functionality for key teaching,
learning, research and collaboration activities.

The other imagines Sakai as a container for other tools that support
those activities, integrating them with some core services like those

Jason mentions (searchability, tagability, gradability, import/
exportability, etc).

Either strategy is probably possible (although I agree with Jason that

the second may well be significantly more complex). The most likely
path is some combination of the two.

Taking a lesson learned the hard way from OSP, I think Sakai should do

some very clear things out-of-the-box (OOTB; as it already does)
without requiring the installation and integration of separate
systems.

I can't really imagine a scenario where content authoring (pace
Michael Feldstein: I'm using the term in its most ordinary sense) is
not something Sakai offers OOTB as a core, native function. And
because Sakai is designed primarily to support collaborative
activities, both individual and collaborative ("wiki-like") authoring

should be part of that OOTB functionality.

Meanwhile, Sakai should always look to ease integration with external/

auxiliary systems—whether to duplicate some core function for a local

use case (eg, Xythos storage) or provide something not available in
Sakai (eg, TurnItIn). But I would suggest it's a better strategy to
support generic integration rather than pick one other system and
integrate it. To turn to the same glaring example, O that it were easy

to plug any WYSIWYG editor into Sakai rather than just the FCKeditor.

So...

+1 for backporting Sakai 3 collaborative authoring to Sakai 2.x, if
that's reasonable. If not, then I say we put up with rwiki and/or
whatever other integrations/workarounds folks are using till Sakai 3
is ready to go.