[DG: Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] Wiki's and Sakai

Jason Shao (CampusEAI Consortium) jason_shao at campuseai.org
Sun Apr 5 17:44:32 PDT 2009

On 4/5/09 3:15 AM, "DAVID ROLDAN MARTINEZ" <darolmar at upvnet.upv.es> wrote:

> Jason, very good pointing out.
>
> From my point of view, if Sakai wants to win adopters it should be able to
> integrated what adopters use. I think that the solution (not quite easy, I'm
> sure) can be to define Sakai connectors for each external application so that
> the connector is responsible of adapting external app to Sakai information
> interchange standards. In this way, to use external application X you "only"
> need to deploy connector X. It is the connector which has to lead the issues
> you have remarked.

David,

>From a technical perspective, I would tend to agree with you, in many
respects that's exactly the problem-domain I spend a lot of time on the
Portal side of the shop. Thought I hate to be the pessimist, I do feel the
need to point out:

* It's a non-trivial amount of work per-target
* In Sakai 2.x land, even with highly integrated tools, we've had trouble
applying horizontal concepts like search, tagging, import/export - I'm not
sure we'd have better luck with a clound of disperate services further
spliting the engineering effort
* Different services have different concepts, and the impedence mis-match
may cause... "interesting" issues in terms of generating a consistent user
experience.

Jason

--
Jason Shao