[DG: Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] Wiki's and Sakai

Cherry Stewart cherry.stewart at une.edu.au
Sun Apr 5 15:56:24 PDT 2009

I think that it is very important to include a wiki. Collaborative
learning requires tools that allow several users to work on the same
documents. We use the Sakai wiki a lot for group work. Some students
find it very difficult and have opted for Google docs.  While other
students have adapted quite well. I have been amazed at how quickly
students adjust when they focus on the learning activity rather than
learning the technology. Their learning of the technology is a by
product of their other skill developments.

Using the wiki has highlighted the need for a group of students
(independent learners) to adjust their attitudes. Quite often, I
receive complaints from students who are concerned about their marks,
and doing work for 'lazy' students, or about 'vindictive' students who
delete their information. Usually, it is not anyone being perverse,
but not understanding how to use the tool (and thus changing page
links), or being unskilled in working cooperatively and establishing
group process guidelines first.  However, for these students
ultimately they gain very valuable skill, which they might not
otherwise be forced to engage with.

I would like to see a wiki that supports a lot more interactive
processes. In a recent activity, students needed to create tables /
grids, and use graphic organisers collaboratively. The current table
macro in the wiki is not great, and the 'run-on' nature of the editing
view makes it very difficult for the untrained eye to understand what
needs to be done, and where entries are best placed.

As we move to providing more and more 'anywhere, anytime' learning, it
is also important to ensure that the tools are available for
cooperative knowledge construction. (I think it is up to the human
element to turn the cooperation, into collaboration.)

I would like to see improved integrated options in the wiki, and a
more integrated tool platform (e.g. tikiwiki).

cherry

Cherry Stewart
Educational Designer
Sakai Distance Education Projects