[DG: Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] Wiki's and Sakai

Michael Feldstein michael.feldstein at oracle.com
Sun Apr 5 11:50:08 PDT 2009

>> One more note on implementation. I have suggested so far that this is
>> something that could and possibly should be built into the Sakai core. But,
>> as I have brought up several times before on these lists, there is a second
>> way to achieve this aim--one that may require little or even no coding. If
>> every page in the Sakai 3 UI is simply HTML and Javascript, then every page
>> can be managed in a standard web content management system, which would
>> bring page versioning, rollback, and granular access privileges for free,
>> along with some other capabilities such as the ability to require different
>> access privileges for editing different portions of the page, approval
>> workflows, and other good stuff. My current instincts on the best way to go
>> here has evolved somewhat; I now believe that it's a good idea to take the
>> first route (i.e., building the basics into core) but also to make sure that
>> the conventions followed facilitate individual adoptees taking the second
>> route for the extra value added where that makes sense for them.
>>

> On that implementation note, what if it what were deeply rooted in
> Sakai was a 3rd-party framework for providing (scriptable) RESTful
> access to content?  It seems to me that would offer the promise of
> accomplishing the various aims you lay out, doing so in a unified way,
> and not having to write the core functionality ourselves.  "Sakai
> core" itself might be a misnomer where it's really specializations
> (especially in the way of authorization complexities) riding on top of
> something more generic.  I think K2 is heading this direction.

Yes, this is also consistent with suggestions I have made in the past.
In a world where plenty of decent web content management systems exist,
I think you have to make a compelling case for building yet another one
rather than re-using one that already exists. Maybe that case can be
made, but if so, it should be made as an alternative to one or more
real, existing WCM systems that somebody in the community has
investigated for this purpose.

The trick will be to find something that, in addition to having the
right license and adequate support from its home community, is low-level
and lightweight enough that it can integrate comfortably into another
system without bringing a lot of extra baggage. One significant
challenge will be UI. Whatever WCM system is adopted should either let
you hide the UI or have a UI that is simple and compatible as an overlay
to the current "content authoring" capability. That may not be as
difficult as it sounds. The current style for "content authoring" is
mostly an editable page underneath a WYSIWYG editor, which is a common
convention that most WCM systems should be able to handle. Where you may
run into more dissonance is on site authoring (i.e., adding and managing
multiple pages) and more complex functionality (e.g., workflow).

Ideally, whether the community chooses a third-party component to handle
WCM or builds its own capabilities, it would be done in such a way that
other alternatives could be swapped in (either by an individual adoptee
or by the community, should the third-party component chosen become less
desirable down the road) with a manageable amount of work.

- m

--

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Michael Feldstein | Principal Product Manager | +1.818.817.2925