[DG: Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] Wiki's and Sakai

Michael Feldstein michael.feldstein at oracle.com
Sun Apr 5 09:26:48 PDT 2009

Unfortunately, this conversation is saddled with several terms that are
not helping us gain clarity. One of them is "content authoring". As has
been discussed already elsewhere, the initiative labeled "content
authoring" in the 3akai design efforts really isn't about content (at
least not primarily), and I'm not really sure that it's about authoring
as we commonly use the term either. It's about creating a flexible
learning environment, where a fusion of both functionality and content
are far more malleable for the instructor than they are in a traditional
LMS. To get at why the content/functionality distinction breaks down,
think about a spreadsheet used for, say, a business class case study of
a business. Is the locus of value of the spreadsheet in the numbers
about the business' financial performance (i.e., the content) or the
formulas that turn those raw numbers into meaningful business metrics
(i.e., the functionality)? It may be a meaningless question. You need
both. Likewise, consider a page of content that is meant to be a
conversation starter for a discussion thread. Whatever we're trying to
do with "content authoring," it's not simply content authoring.

The second misleading word here is "wiki". What seems to be meant by the
term in this conversation is the following set up capabilities:

    * Collaborative user editing of hypertext
    * Easy linking from one hypertext page to another
    * Versioning of content, possibly with rollback
    * At least some distinct levels of access and editing permissions

What it may or may not include are the specific trappings of wiki
technologies and conventions, particularly wiki syntax.

An interesting thing happens when you drop the extra baggage that comes
with both of these terms and focus instead on the requirements and
affordances. As has been pointed out, the 3akai "content authoring"
capability already includes at least two of the four "wiki"
requirements, i.e., editing of hypertext and easy linking from one
hypertext page to another. Versioning is something that is supported by
the JCR standard (the current version of which is JSR-170), so it should
be supportable as part of the Sakai 3 core. (There may be some question
regarding whether the current version of JCR is adequate to the need
here or whether the community will need to wait for the next version,
which Jackrabbit will certainly support. That's really beyond my level
of technical competence to address. The main general point is that there
is a relatively obvious path to explore here.) You'd need a UI for
versioning and rollback, but there are plenty of good models for that.
The other element, permissions, strikes me as a minor enhancement (if
even that) of what has to be done anyway for "content authoring" as it
is currently conceived. There are already plans to decide who can edit a
page and who can view a page. The implementation plans may need to be
checked to see if they handle the wiki-like collective authoring use
case efficiently, and there may need to be a permission level added for
version roll-back, but the basics already need to be there.

If you *were* to combine these two requirements sets, what would you
have when you're done? You would have have a versioned and collectively
editable *learning environment*. Maybe it's  WLE, a Wiki'ed Learning
Environment. Remember, the versioning and collective editing taking
place would include both text and functionality widgets (or vignettes,
in Sakai parlance). I think this could very powerful.

One more note on implementation. I have suggested so far that this is
something that could and possibly should be built into the Sakai core.
But, as I have brought up several times before on these lists, there is
a second way to achieve this aim--one that may require little or even no
coding. If every page in the Sakai 3 UI is simply HTML and Javascript,
then every page can be managed in a standard web content management
system, which would bring page versioning, rollback, and granular access
privileges for free, along with some other capabilities such as the
ability to require different access privileges for editing different
portions of the page, approval workflows, and other good stuff. My
current instincts on the best way to go here has evolved somewhat; I now
believe that it's a good idea to take the first route (i.e., building
the basics into core) but also to make sure that the conventions
followed facilitate individual adoptees taking the second route for the
extra value added where that makes sense for them.

- m