[DG: Teaching & Learning] Wikis and Sakai

Mary Glackin mglackin at mtholyoke.edu
Thu Apr 2 12:43:44 PDT 2009

For us, real WYSIWYG editing is a large issue for support and further
adoption of Sakai. Like other responders, we have a number of faculty
who have made very innovative use of rwiki despite the editing
limitations. We're grateful to have a protected space for the large
volume of copyrighted material some of our faculty and students post
in their class wikis. That said, faculty who want really robust wikis
are using a variety of other products.

We've done some local tweaks to make things a little easier. We
changed the default "new page template" to include short instructions
for editing and have changed the default Permissions in all sites.
We've also written some local documentation and are very grateful to
Matt Plourde and UDel for sharing their documentation.

We'd be interested in any efforts to build or integrate a Sakai wiki
that is both more user friendly and robust.

	- mary

Mary Glackin
mglackin at mtholyoke.edu
Instructional Technology Consultant
Research & Instructional Support Team
Library, Information & Technology Services