[DG: Open Forum] LMS Cost Query

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Sun Jan 26 20:12:43 PST 2014

Hi Ida,

By 16,000 active users do you mean concurrent use or do you mean 16,000
accounts which have access to using Sakai? I'm guessing the latter. In
which case I would say with confidence that Sakai can handle this number
because it handles larger numbers than this at various institutions. If
it is concurrent, I'm not sure and others might have to chime in.

I'm doubtful that anyone can provide you a breakdown of capital cost and
on-going service costs since that depends on many questions your
institution would make about the implementation, customization and
management of Sakai. What you will get with Sakai is no licensing cost,
open source and a vibrant community. The Sakai community operates in the
open, meaning you or anyone can download the software at any time, and
examine it. You can also modify it to your needs. We keep a bug register
that is open to anyone to view as well. And we have numerous email lists
with ongoing questions, discussions, help, and healthy debate.

I'm doubtful that helps much though, since it does not directly answer
your question. Have you talked to anybody at your institution about your
project?

Cheers,
Neal Caidin
Apereo Foundation