[DG: Open Forum] Favorite Markup Language

csev csev at umich.edu
Mon Apr 26 10:47:27 PDT 2010

In working on my Python book, I ran back into LaTeX because that was what the book I was adapting was written in.   I definitely like it because there are lots of  add-ons, options, etc for it.

If I start thinking about the future, my goal is to write in something that is (a) abstract, (b) simple, (c) rich, and (d) highly transformable.

These days, I want (with no additional work) - Browser-style HTML, Mobile HTML, ePUB (several formats), print-ready PDF that looks like an O'Reilly book, and who knows what next?

Probably a key concept is that the editing is never in a final format for anything - but some really abstract format aimed at maximal author convenience.

The nice thing I like about LaTeX is that 10 year old documents can still be edited and re-produced.  But LaTeX is not so god for making web sites.

I too wish there was "one answer to this".

/Chuck