[DG: Open Forum] [Event] Jasig 2010 Spring Conference, San Diego CA, March 8-10 2010 - Recruiting speakers who are doing creative new work on higher ed open source applications

Pieter Hartsook hartsook at sakaifoundation.org
Thu Oct 15 15:41:47 PDT 2009

Sakai Community,

This is a request for speakers from our friends at Jasig for their
Srping 2010 conference.

======================================
From: Jonathan Markow <jjmarkow at gmail.com>
Date: October 12, 2009 12:46:58 PM PDT
To: heed-forum at googlegroups.com
Subject: Jasig 2010 Spring Conference

HEED Folks:

You may have seen our early announcement about the Jasig 2010 Spring
Conference.  The dates are March 8 to March 10.  (Who cares if it's
not Spring yet?!  It's in San Diego so it'll *feel* like Spring! :-)
http://www.ja-sig.org/conferences/10spring/index.html .

Of course you are most welcome there and I hope you will consider
joining us.  I know that because campus travel budgets have not
improved much over last year, if at all, it will continue to be
difficult for communities outside of Jasig to attend, but we will
still want to invite your folks, in any case.

The theme this year is "Innovation", and we will be recruiting
speakers who are doing creative new work on higher ed open source
applications from our own and other communities, as well as those
projects that have not yet found a community--or that we may not even
know about yet.  We'll have a variety of formats to introduce that
work at the conference.  In addition, we plan to highlight new
technologies that will likely have an impact on higher education in
the future.  Those will include technologies that are new to Jasig,
and we will look for presenters to offer seminars (overview and
hands-on) and hour-long presentations on topics of particular interest
to developers.

Your input was particularly helpful to our conference planning in the
past couple of years.  If you're able to weigh in on any of the
following this year, I would most appreciate it:

    * Your suggestions for keynote speakers have been superb.  Two of
our three excellent speakers last year were recommended by you and
they were quite memorable (The third was recommended by the Fluid
folks).  Any thoughts for this year's keynotes would be appreciated.
We're looking for a speaker on innovation in higher education or open
source and a technology guru who will fire up developers.
    * We would welcome university developers who are interested in
presenting stuff that meets the criteria above WRT innovative work and
new technologies.
    * We would appreciate your announcing the conference through your
regular community channels, and I'll send you the Call for Proposals
announcement, which is next to go.

We have reserved some extra meeting rooms for a couple of days
following the conference.  If San Diego is well situated for any of
your user groups to meet, we may be able to make one available to you.
 I would need to know if you're interested within the next couple of
weeks.

Thanks much!
Jonathan