[DG: Open Forum] Alumni access to CLE's

David Horwitz David.Horwitz at uct.ac.za
Tue Aug 18 00:55:53 PDT 2009

Thanks Jeff,

That matches pretty much the advise we give out - I was curious though to know if anyone had changed their policies in this regard....

>>> Jeff Ziegler <ziegler at umich.edu> 8/17/2009 7:06 PM >>>

Hi David,

At UMich we also see a lot of questions regarding access to CTools, our Sakai instance, after graduation.  Post-grad access to our instance is determined on a basic level through the student's university-provided Basic Computing Package, which includes an email account and access to the UMich computing environment, of which CTools is a part.  The BCP expires approximately six weeks after graduation.  We tell students that they have two options to continue access - one is the official policy and the other is free but possibly less useful:

1)  The official route - they can pay the university to continue their BCP - this ensures that their unique username and password will continue to function, and as long as they pay the fee, access will be identical to what they've experienced as a student user, and they will likely be able to access all of their Course sites.

2)  The cheaper route - we advise them to create a UM guest account and add that account as a participant to any Project sites that they own or belong to.  Access to Course sites is a different matter, however, as our instructors have control over their sites and can choose the option to remove their student rosters or unpublish their Course sites if they wish, making them unavailable even when the student is logged in.  Since student access to Course sites is available only to their unique student user ID, we point out that they will need to make separate arrangements with their instructors to have their guest account added to any Course sites they want to access.  Most instructors have no problem with doing this.

Also - not an access solution really, but as many students are really just concerned with access to materials in Resources, we tell them to download and save any materials/ content they'll want from a Course site before their BCP expires.

Jeff